Twitter Feed

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Tourists in Egypt: A local's perspective

Many thanks for contacting me and for having the trust in my view. Let me clarify few things (as you said assurances not guarantees) which you might already know. Tourism is engraved in Egyptian culture and having foreign tourists is part of Egyptians daily lives. You will normally find Egyptians very welcoming to tourists (sometimes too much extra welcoming). We even have a saying that we, Egyptians, wish that other Egyptians will treat us as nice as they deal with tourists. So in this regard, you should expect a very welcoming public as this is the norm.

As for security for tourists, there is absolutely no problem as far as I know. As we speak there are hundreds of thousands of tourists in Cairo, Luxor and every where else in Egypt. What you hear in the media about clashes between protesters and security forces every now and then, is only limited to the area where the protests are held. So, unless you decide to take your students to a protest to show them democracy in the making in Egypt :) , there shouldn’t be any problems every where else. In addition to that, we have a whole police branch called tourism protection police which are available at every tourist site and big hotels. By February next year, we will have our first properly elected parliament, so things will be much calmer as well and I doubt there will be much protests anyway.

I hope this has clarified the situation and as I said, I can’t provide guarantees but I wouldn’t worry about sending my children if I was in your students’ parents position.

Let me know if you need anything else.

All the best,
Mohamed Ibrahim

"We are All Khaled Said" English Facebook page & Website Admin
http://www.facebook.com/elshaheeed.co.uk
http://www.twitter.com/Alshaheeed
http://www.elshaheeed.co.uk
Email and Google chat: alshaheeed@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment